Tuesday, May 25, 2010

X1T

Well, no luck on the church nursery standoff.... We got called out on Sunday after about 45 minutes. On the positive side, this is the longest she has ever made it.

Today I was telling the secretary here at work all about it. She's been a Sunday School teacher for over thirty years and she says week three is usually the turning point. We've never made it three consecutive weeks without our determination getting knocked down. She said, "well, those strong willed children are the leaders of tomorrow!" I'll take that :-)

We had a lovely brunch at the Corner Bakery after we reclaimed our hysterical child. She was all smiles and waving and flirting with everyone who passed by her high chair.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Kinda reminds me of when I was crying in our Plano pediatrician's office, at wit's end with Will....in oh, about 1997. Dr. Franck said, "Kelly, strong-willed kids are the ones who grow up to be astronauts and Olympians and neurosurgeons. I completely expect to see Will playing for the Dallas Cowboys someday."

I said, "Well, I'm glad YOU'RE gonna be there, because I will have long-since leapt off the roof!" And I meant it.

At 14, Will is still tough--still incredibly strong willed. EXASPERATING. I can say all this to you, because you're his cousin and it's nothing he and I haven't gone 87 rounds about....in 2010 alone, so it won't make him an egomaniac or hurt his feelings. But all the things that make him so difficult also make him completely interesting and smart and fabulous. His drive and focus make him artistic and hilarious and well read and musical and an amazing cello player and.....almost fluent in Spanish. I don't expect to see him playing for the Cowboys, but I do expect to find him playing for the Cleveland Symphony or the Chicago Philharmonic.....IF I don't string him up by his toes first, of course.

Hadn't occurred to me this could be genetically linked to the MAURER side of our gene pool legacy. Hmmmm........very interesting.......

Stephanie said...

Thank you for always having an encouraging word! I am so proud of Will and all of his accomplishments, I can only hope Kaitlyn will be so successful in her endeavors (and that Jason and I will also love and encourage whatever her natural talents are)

And you may be right about the Maurer genetics!