Two things that are on my mind over the last several days –
FIRST, why don’t they tell you when you make a charitable donation that your name and address will be sold to all other charitable organizations? True, I am the world’s biggest sucker when it comes to saving dogs (even sometimes dogs that don’t need saving). I give faithfully to the SPCA of Dallas where I adopted my angel, Dixie. They will always have a special place in my heart and they could ask for money daily and I would always give.
However, after giving to such organizations as the ASPCA, SPCA, and Humane Society it now seems that I am on every dog, cat, horse, and PIG rescue organizations’ donor list. Yes, you read that right. I recently received personalized address labels and a plea for money from a pot bellied pig rescue organization. I did not donate.
Yesterday, I received a free fleece blanket with a cute picture of a puppy on it from IFAW. No, I do not even know what this stands for. I have a check written out to them on the desk at home but I can’t decide if I’ll send it. I just don’t know if I can donate to everyone who sends me a “Free Gift.” (And how do I know what they are really doing with the money, short of requesting financial statements? Let’s face it, I look at financial statements all day long and I really don’t want to mess with this at home).
I guess I’m just a little perturbed that my donations have led to the volume of my daily snail mail increasing by about three fold.
SECOND, and more importantly and more frustratingly, who steals money from a 91 year old woman? My Nana is now living in a nursing home in the north part of Oklahoma City. She is so faithful (and cute) about always hiding her purse and any cash or valuables she might have in her room, just to be safe because there are no locks on the doors. A few days ago, she was getting all dressed to head to the cafeteria for dinner. She left her purse sitting out while she went to use the restroom. When she came out of the restroom a few minutes later someone had stolen about $60 from her purse. WHAT? (She is doubly upset about this because she was saving this money for a cab ride to run some errands)
I just can not fathom anyone stealing money from an elderly person. Well I don’t understand stealing at all but especially not from an elderly person. I can only imagine what else this person is doing if they are careless enough to do this….. GRRRRR…. Something tells me I am going to be an overprotective parent :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
first off - hysterical about the pot belly pig. not the fact they need rescuing, just the fact that they are hitting you up(the dog lover)for the funds. a girl can only give so much!! :) and second - that is horrible about your grandmother. it takes a spineless person to pray on the vulnerable. breaks my heart. glad that it was only money, though. but it still sucks.
Post a Comment