Yesterday Molly and I made our first real visit to a nursing home for “pet therapy.” She was a precious, snuggly angel. As Molly walked into each room, the overriding theme was a loud “I LOVE DOGS” and “Oh, how I miss my dog!!
I know for sure they were lighting up due to that furry friend I had on the other end of the leash. Each one of our new friends got to give Molly a treat or two which she took so gently. Molly learned to get pretty close to the wheelchairs so her friends could love on her. My favorite visit yesterday was a woman who wasn’t able to get out of bed…her and Molly really formed a quick bond. She moved over in her bed and smoothed a perfect spot for Molly. With a few quick taps on the bed given as an invitation, Molly was on her bed resting her head in the nape of her arm. The two buddies were like this for about 15 minutes until the lunch cart came.
If there was ever any doubt that this was what the Lord intended I do to serve Him, that doubt is completely erased now. It was so hard to see the loneliness on some of their faces as we entered, but maybe Molly brightened at least a little part of their day. I am thankful that Jason and I ended up with a dog so inclined for this kind of service (and I love the dog who has to stay at home equally as much! But we can't bring him along as he would definitely take out a few hips!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love that you are doing this, and I know you brighten more than just their days...it's awesome!
What a great ministry, Stephanie. Good for you and Molly. I can't imagine there will ever be a day that Kit could be calm enough to visit a nursing home...but every one says at 2 she'll be a different dog. We'll see...
Steph-
This makes me so happy to hear this. Molly is so loving, and I am so glad to hear how she brightened everyone's day. You know how much Nana and Papa loved visitors--especially the furry kind. I am sure that our angels in heaven were smiling down on you during your visit to the nursing home.
You are such a wonderful caring and giving person, and people are so blessed to have you touch their lives with your kindness. I may not tell you often enough, but I am so very proud of you and all that you do.
Much love,
Mom
Post a Comment