So Molly's "therapy" dog evaluation is now officially scheduled for September 13th. We had originally signed her up for August 17th, but this was in Waco and so when I found the one in September in Denton, I jumped on that. She will be evaluated at the Animal Assisted Therapy center at the University of North Texas.
I think she is making good progress.
We are up every weekday morning around 5:45 to walk before work. Sometimes Baxter comes with, but only if I am feeling especially patient. He is kind of a jerk on the leash, and loves to yank me around like a rag doll. Doesn't help that we have an abundance of rabbits in our 'hood. Some days we do "two a days" (this is a shout out to all the stories I have heard J tell about football in high school) and walk at night near dusk. We just returned from a great evening walk, and Molly ran in to her two favorite kids. They are probably two and three years old, and they love to feed her treats when she passes by their front yard. Tonight they were outside in their adorable little PJ's playing tag in the yard.
My favorite walks are definitely our weekend morning walks. There are always so many friendly people out walking, and after our walks I indulge in a big coffee and leisurely read the paper. Someday, I'd love it if every day could start this way.
Our current hurdles to face before her evaluation: pulling me a little on the leash (it has to stay slack, and she can't wear her choke collar), and the command "leave it." They will leave something enticing like a piece of lunch meat on the floor during her test. She has to walk right past it without trying to lunge or grab it. This is in case we are in a hospital or other facility and there is medication or something harmful on the floor. We may not pass this one....
I am really enjoying the preparation for this, and think the volunteering itself should be a good experience for both of us. Jason and I both agree that she has a special spirit, pure joy as we call it, and really hope that her love and affection will bring a smile to someone else's face soon! More updates to follow as we get closer to the "big day."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you are so stinkin cute! i read the part about your weekend rituals (walk, coffee, newspaper) and i'm so jealous - i LOVED those days. enjoy them while they last. i'm the neighbor with the kids in the PJ's now. also enjoyable, just a different type of enjoyment :) i'll be praying for you and molly. p.s. i don't even know if i could pass the "leave it" command. throw a cookie on the floor and it gets a little tricky....
Post a Comment