Sunday, October 19, 2008

Corn fields, rigs, and cows...oh my!

I made it back safely from my flights to and from Wray, CO (population 2,500). All anxiety aside, it was a really nice trip. The weather there was in the 50's or high 40's -- nice and crisp but not too cold. We stayed at a quaint bed and breakfast (Doc's) near main street in town. The other lodging alternative was a place called the Sandhiller, where I have heard from several that they've had insects crawl in their nose and ears during the night. YIKES!!!!!!

On a business note, I was able to meet the accounting manager and administrator that I am working closely with in one of my new roles at work. (I am assisting the business unit Controller as part of my training program). Also, on the second day, we went on a "field trip" to see a wireline truck, drilling rig and workover rig. This took us from Colorado to Nebraska and then to Kansas. This was my favorite part of the trip....it was beautiful!

When we arrived at the wireline location (this is basically a big diesel truck equipped with a spool which drops tools down into the "hole" when a new natural gas well is brought online), the herd of cattle which resides on this land gave us a warm greeting. By warm greeting, I mean they surrounded our ford explorer and I had cattle within 18 inches of my head. We had to get right up near them and almost tap a few of them to get them to move off the dirt path. Our arrival caused the entire herd to start "moo-ing" in unison. It reminded me of something out of Alfred hitchcock's, "the birds," except with cows. There was at least 200.

There were lots of sweet baby cows which as usual makes me not very excited to chomp down on any beef in the near future.......I digress though.

It was a really nice trip, and I really enjoyed being in a small town if only for two days. It would take some adjusting, certainly. The closest thing to a chain reestaurant or even fast food there is Subway. It is 90 miles to a wal-mart even! I don't know if I could live somewhere without a Kohl's and Sonic.

Off to walk with my hubby. We slept too late for church today :-(

1 comment:

Kelly said...

CO is on our list of places to live someday...maybe! We could all meet there and live on the same cul-de-sac....it'd be fun...really.