Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nana’s Cake

Today was Nana’s birthday --- would have been #92. Today I am going to celebrate her, and remember all of our best times together…

Let me back up. About three years ago, my sweet grandparents sent me a new crock-pot. This was shortly after we got married, and I know they were trying to help me balance a working life with my new married life. She also sent me a recipe for a delicious-sounding fudge cake which is baked in the slow cooker.

Most every time we talked on the phone thereafter (I am not exaggerating here), she asked me if I had baked the fudge cake for Jason. The answer was always the same – no, not yet. At one point, I even had all the ingredients but I let them go bad. So, yesterday I got all the ingredients organized and made a quick trip to the store. Tonight after work I will finally make this cake and enjoy it with Jason at midnight when it is finished cooking 

I know for sure that she would be happy to know that I am baking for Jason. That was one of her favorite ways to show her undying love for her family, and I am happy to try my best to carry on with that tradition. It will never EVER taste as good as her cooking, but like I say about lots of things, I am trying….
I am so thankful for her life and the wonderful woman she was. Miss you Nana -- XOXOXO

4 comments:

Kelly said...

How great to celebrate your Nana's life. I know she was so special to you and that you miss her dearly. And hey---send that recipe east to me!! Sounds like something the Dixon boys could put away!

LeClair Family said...

That was really sweet to do, both for Nana and Jason! How did it turn out??? I love my slow cooker and could always use more recipes!

Unknown said...

so sweet!! i'm sure she's smiling down on you watching you make her cake. send me the recipe!!

Kakky said...

This note breaks my heart from missing her, but you made me smile. She was proud of her cake and would be so happy that you are carrying on her tradition of baking sweets for those she loved.

Too bad the wonderful one and I are dieting, or we would have to drop by for a piece.

Much love,
Mom