Well we are officially to the weekly check-up part of the pregnancy...woohoo! Jason and I are SO excited because this means we are almost ready to meet the little lady. The appointment today went well - we heard the heartbeat and he measured my belly and everything is looking just fine with baby. We are smiling and always happy to hear a good report about the baby.
My husband continues to take such good care of the both of us - reading to Kaitlyn, keeping me stocked up on lots of healthy snacks, neck/shoulder massages, etc. etc. I think I picked a pretty great guy to travel through this journey with! (And he puts up with my pregnancy mood swings and has a short memory of them!)
New Moms - a question for you....do you think a little getaway towards the tail end of my maternity leave is too soon to even try to leave her? She would be about 10 weeks old at the time we were thinking of traveling. I don't want to wait TOO long because then I think it will be even harder for us to leave her. (And this would be a great opportunity for Miss Kaitlyn to to try out her Nursery #2!!) Would love to hear thoughts/comments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
yeah for weekly appointments! you are SO close! obviously i'm not there yet, but i say go for a trip! doubt you are planning on going for too long, so i say do it. i'm hoping we do the same thing for our anniversary in november :-)
That is exciting that you are almost there! It would have been too early for me. Since I was nursing, there were still quite a few feedings in the day so I would have had to pump a lot before hand and then pumped a lot on vacation. Plus he was still so brand new at that point that I personally didn't feel comfortable leaving him quite yet. I am sure a lot of people do it though, and you would enjoy a couple nights of a lot more sleep than you will probably be getting!
So exciting!!! You are getting so close!!!
OK....here's the only parenting advice I'll ever give you----well....that and encouraging you to run a cheap box fan in Kaitlyn's room to promote sleep--
but anyway---
I say go for the trip away with Jason! Taking care of your marriage is soooo key---trust me on this one. It's way too easy to get TOO focused on kids and their needs. Drew and I constantly try to remind ourselves that WE were a couple first---and we should stay focused on our marriage. Our kids are a bi-product of our relationship--we had them because we loved (and love!) each other so much. We work at being a parent-focused family and Drew and I actually, have purposefully pointed out to the boys many times over the years that they come 2nd to us and whatever we want to do!! (Discipline, too, is way easier when kids don't expect the world to revolve around them!)
AND....one more thing--I highly recommend going away by yourself for a night or two with girlfriends before you go back to work. One of the best things I ever did was leave 8-week old Brant with Drew for a long weekend while I went to the beach with all my cousins. I realized then that B was plenty hearty and could live without me---Drew and B completely connected, plus Drew gained a huge amount of confidence in the baby care dept.! (The added bonus was that Drew saw what work being at home with a newborn was.)
You and Jason will do great. Just remember over the years why you wanted a baby so badly to begin with.
xxooo!
i'm all about a night away with the girls, but for me 10 weeks would have been way too early to leave the girls. we had our first overnight at a hotel, while my parents watched the girls, at 5 months. that was great and long enough for me :) then at 9 months we took a trip. then at 11.5 months we took another trip. i think with the next baby it will be easier to leave sooner, but as this is your FIRST baby and you will learn so much in the first few months, i'd wait. if it were me, i'd plan a girls night out (maybe even an overnight) before going back to work. and some DEFINITE date nights while on maternity leave. but as for a trip, i'd wait till at least 6 months. i've known you since the second grade...trust me...it will be hard no matter when you choose to leave her for the first time, but there is NO truth to "if we wait too long we'll never want to leave her". it's never easy, but once you get away it's always great.
Post a Comment